Air India offers 25% Discount on Ticket for Senior Citizens
A social media post claims that the Ministry of Civil Aviation has announced a 50% concession on Air India base ticket fares for senior citizens over 60 years.
The post credits the special scheme to Prime Minister Narendra Modi and provides a link directing to the official website of Air India.
Air India Discount Fact Check
- The TATA Group took over Air India from the government in January 2022 and is presently managing the complete operations of the Air India.
- Following the takeover, the Tata Group reduced the senior citizen concession from 50% to 25% in September 2022.
- Even during the UPA government, before 2014, Air India provided 50% concession to senior citizens over 63 years in domestic flights.
- The claim made in the post is false. Currently, Air India offers only 25% concession to senior citizens in their domestic flights, not 50% as mentioned in the post.
- The link provided in the post directs us to the senior citizen concession section on the ‘Air India’ website. In the senior citizen concession section of the website, Air India stated that a senior citizen of Indian Nationality, permanently residing in India and should have attained the age of 60 years on the date of commencement of the journey, is eligible to avail 25% discount of basic fare on selected booking classes in the Economy cabin.
Also read: IndiGo Discount- Flight Tickets from Rs 2,093
Air India Discount Conclusion
- The claim of the Ministry of Civil Aviation announcing a 50% concession on Air India base ticket fares for senior citizens over 60 years is false.
- Air India, currently managed by the TATA Group, offers only a 25% concession to senior citizens in their domestic flights.
- The eligibility for senior citizen concession on Air India is for Indian Nationals, permanently residing in India, and who have attained the age of 60 years on the date of commencement of the journey.